This post contains affiliate links, which means we may receive a small commission at no cost to you for the purchase of these products using the links. All thoughts and opinions are our own.Jump to Recipe
Going outside in winter with kids is not always simple, but also necessary, especially this winter. It’s a lot of work getting kids all bundled up, and then yourself all bundled for the 30 minutes they last outside. Well sometimes they last longer.
One of the reasons our kids enjoy going out in the snow the most, is because they almost always get the treat of hot chocolate upon coming inside. We got this recipe from Grandma and is one of the easiest but fun ways to have hot chocolate!
What equipment do I need?
- Whisk for stirring chocolate
- Sticks for the wands. We used these ones, but any large toothpick or stick would work.
- We used this silicone mold. I think you could use ice cube trays, they just might not pop out as easily.
- Not exactly equipment, but we used these mini marshmallows and crushed peppermint for toppings.
- Treat bags if wanted, any other plastic wrap or bees wrap would work.
SHOP THE POST
HOW TO MAKE HOT CHOCOLATE WANDS
Gather your ingredients. In a medium sized bowl, add your melting chocolate chips. (Note: if you use regular chocolate chips, you may need to add some milk or half and half when melting)
Put the chocolate in the microwave for no longer than 15 seconds. You want to microwave in small increments until chocolate melts easily with stirring. We needed to microwave 15 seconds x2, for chocolate to melt with stirring.
Spray your mold with any cooking spray and pour the melted chocolate into the molds. Top with fixings of your choosing, we used crushed candy canes and mini marshmallows. Just sprinkle these on top of the melted chocolate and they will harden into place.
Wait about 20 minutes or so, and add the sticks to the center of the mold and continue to let harden.
Just pop the hot chocolate wands out of the molds. Have a cup of warm milk ready to go and us the wand to stir in the milk until the chocolate is melted, and there you go! Hot chocolate that kids (and adults) will enjoy!
These are perfect to have made up ahead of time and just have ready to use for any snow day! Or make them in the morning of a snow day, and enjoy in the afternoon after coming in from the cold.
If you made these donuts, we’d love for you to share it on Instagram and tag us at @gatheringtwigs! Enjoy!
Video for Easy Hot Chocolate Wands
Hot Chocolate Wands
- Microwave Safe Mixing Bowl
- Cake Pop Sticks or Popsicle Sticks
- Silicone Mold or Ice Cube Tray
- 2 cups Melting Chocolate Regular chocolate chips would work too, but you may need to add some milk or half and half with melting.
- Cooking Spray
- Mini Marshmallows
- Crushed Candy Canes or Crushed Peppermint Optional
- Melt chocolate in short increments in the microwave. We did two, 15 second increments in the microwave. Be sure to not burn chocolate.
- Stir chocolate until fully melted.
- Spray the silicone mold with any cooking spray.
- Pour melted chocolate into sprayed molds
- Top your hot chocolate with fixings of your choosing. We used mini marshmallows and crushed candy canes.
- Let the chocolate harden for about 20 minutes before adding the sticks to the center. If you try to soon, the sticks won't stand straight up.
- Add sticks to the center of the mold.
- After chocolate is fully hardened remove from molds. All you need to do is add warmed milk and stir until the chocolate is melted, and there you have it. Hot chocolate!